You are unique, one of a kind, really you are! What happens when you look to others to find out how to act or even what to do? Disappointment and frustrated. We were not made to copy other people’s lives. God created each one of us different, with different talents, abilities, and gifts. You may admire someone else’s gifts, but if you try and copy what they are doing you will end up very frustrated. We can never do exactly what someone else does. If we look to another person and what they are doing, we can lose who we are. We will never truly be happy with someone else’s life!
5 reasons we compare ourselves and even try to replicate what others do:
1. Insecurity. We do not know who we are in Christ or what God has called us to do individually, so we look to others to figure it out.
2. Fear. We want to be well-liked and approved of. We try and fit-in and do what everybody else is doing.
3. Listening to others. Many people can give you ideas about your life’s calling, but you must hear and confirm it with God. What does God say He wants you to do?
4. Failure. If you have failed in the past for any reason, it can make it harder to follow on that same path again or a similar path, so it is easier to follow the path of another.
5. Lack of confidence. This confidence has to come from Christ alone, not self; however, some have no confidence in what Christ can do through them and find it easier to do what everyone else is doing.
What if you stepped-out today, and believed that you are unique, distinctive, and special? Meaning you will not think, act, or behave like anyone else? You will not have the same calling from God as everyone else. You will even have a distinct path in finding your life’s purpose. If you want to know your life’s direction, stop comparing your life to others, and ask God what He desires for you to do. God may have something very specific for you and it does conform to what the “group” is doing. If you feel different and that you have tried to mold yourself after others and it never works, then maybe it is time to stop copying and be who God created you to be.
Keep your eyes focused on Jesus and His blueprint for your life. It is okay to have role models and people that inspire you, but trying to do exactly what they are doing will cause you to be defeated. Comparing ourselves to others will always make us feel inferior about ourselves. We were not meant to be like anyone else. If someone reacts a certain way or does something differently than you would, that is okay! You will not always respond like everyone. God has given you a brain and DNA that no one else has. Embrace your uniqueness, see it as a gift from God. Love yourself and stop beating yourself up for not being able to be like everyone else, not even the people in the church! Love who God created you to be, God does.
Thoughts to ponder: What is it that you need to accept and love about yourself? How do you need to stop comparing yourself to others? Can you begin to believe that you have been uniquely created?