Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Counselor's Corner: Breaking Free of Busyness



Lately I have been feeling rushed, hurried and pressured. When I got alone with God this morning and was able to quiet my mind, I realized my schedule has been busy. The calendar that I had made for the month of May was full and it’s only the first week of May and I can already feel the affects of being busy.



I don’t operate well when there are too many obligations and activities on my schedule. I like to go at a slow pace, not rushed, and feel like I have time to pull back when I need to.



Many times, we fill our schedules overflowing because we feel obligated to certain people or activities, and we certainly don’t want to let anyone down. However, we cannot “burn the candle at both ends.” Something in your life will suffer if you are too busy, your marriage, your children, or even your physical health.






Some people seem to be able to go continually and always have something to do or somewhere to go. I do not believe God designed for us to be continually on the move. Our bodies need rest, and we need breaks from the demands of life. The Sabbath day is intended for that, but so few people actually take a weekly sabbath.



Busyness and distractions are tools of the enemy to keep your focus on everything “you should be doing,” instead of what Holy Spirit is leading you to do.



The enemy uses busyness and distractions to ‘quietly” step in the “backdoor” of your life. You won’t see him coming because your too busy and distracted.



Take some time and look at your schedule, if you are packed with activities that are not essential and you are not feeling strong physically, mentally or spiritually, start cutting back all that is not necessary. Say “No,” to people and activities that are not vital.



You must have time to breathe, rest, be still and hear the Holy Spirit. Being too busy and distracted can hinder your ability to hear the Holy Spirit. When we are not led by the Holy Spirit we are led by our emotions and feelings and this can cause confusion over what we should or should not be involved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What to Do When You Are Disappointed

A relationship does not work out, a job does not go through, or your prodigal child that you have been praying for does not seem to lea...