Tuesday, December 12, 2017

COUNSELOR'S CORNER: Dealing with Loss and Pain During Christmas



I do not know how you cope during the holidays if you have had any losses or pain in your life, but I would recommend doing what you can do and don’t try to keep up with other’s. You will need extra rest and time alone with God to process your grief.


 Do not feel pressure to attend Christmas parties or programs. I recently had a Christmas program at my church, and I really wanted to go; but I was having a bad day and I did not feel that I could handle going. Why, you may ask? I knew I was already feeling a bit emotional and hearing certain Christmas songs would most likely make me sad and being around others who have family might also make me feel sad. I do what I can, and I no longer feel guilty when I cannot be and do what EVERYBODY else is doing. I have finally come to the realization that I am not able to do everything (even if other people will not understand).

The holidays can be a mix of emotions for people, it can bring out some of our fondest memories as well as our deepest pain. More people commit suicide this time of year more than any other year, and depression and anxiety are high around the holidays.

Acknowledge that you have pain, do not try and stuff it or hide it away. Bring your hurt to Jesus, and ask Him to bring you comfort and peace. Do not isolate yourself, BUT DO WHAT YOU CAN DO! If you can only handle having coffee with a friend verses going to the Christmas play at church, then do what will be best for you. Keep in the presence of the Lord by praying, praising Him, and reading the Word-this is the most important detail to keep you in perfect peace. Create new memories and traditions.

Keep in mind that you are not alone, there are others who lonely, sad, maybe depressed or anxious this time of year. Christ is our focus this time of year, it is our time to reflect on His birth. It is okay if you are not able to celebrate like others, ask the Lord what He should have you to do or not to do.

Do something you enjoy doing this Christmas! Take care of yourself if you are dealing with loss this Christmas season.

Jesus heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:13

My prayer for the hurting this time of year:
Father,
We come before you and ask that you touch each hurting heart and place your healing hands upon their hearts. Be with them through this joyous and sometimes painful time, bring them a comfort and a peace that can come only from you. Let their sleep be peaceful and restful, and fill them with your presence and angels at night. Father, touch each home that is affected my loneliness or grief, and embrace them tenderly. God you know every hurting person out there and you know their needs, please be real to them today and pour out your love in real and authentic ways. Jesus we love you, we need you, please bring your strength. Jesus may we celebrate your day with awe and wonder, and may our focus be upon you.

In your name Jesus, amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What to Do When You Are Disappointed

A relationship does not work out, a job does not go through, or your prodigal child that you have been praying for does not seem to lea...