Counselor’s Corner: Who Does God Say That I Am?
When you do not know what your identity is in Christ, or what God says about you; you believe the lies that the enemy dishes out to you. Have you ever wondered why some Christians live in defeat? This can be contributed to not knowing or believing what your new identity in Christ is.
If you have struggled with knowing that God loves you and knowing your worth and value, take the time and read and meditate what the truth says. The truth can be found by not only reading the Bible, but believing what it says. “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32
Reflect and ponder: Do you know your new identity on Christ?
The following truths are what God says about you.
· You are loved by God. Not because of what you have done or have not done. The Bible tells us that while we were sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
· You are a new creation. If anyone is in Christ, old things have passed away and you are a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17.
· You are a member of the body of Christ. You belong to a new family, one that will be with you in eternity. 1 Corinthians 12:27
· You are a friend of God. Jesus said, “I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” John 15:15
· You are free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:2. The penalty for sin before was death, but now through the shed blood of Christ; we can be free from death.
· You are born of God and the evil one does not touch you. 1 John 5:18.
· You are holy and without blame before Him in love. Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:16.
· You are God’s masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus to do good works. Ephesians 2:10.
· You are a joint heir with Jesus, sharing His inheritance with Him. Romans 8:17.
· You are a temple of God. His spirit and His life lives in you. 1 Corinthians 6:19.
· You have been redeemed and forgiven. Colossians 1:14.
· You have been adopted by God as His child. Ephesians 1:5. It does not matter what family you were born into, you have been adopted by God and have a new bloodline.
This list is nowhere near exhaustive. Read the Bible for yourself, and believe what God says about you. It does not matter what you think of yourself, what others think of you, but what God says about you. No matter your background, if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, these truths apply to you! You are no longer a sinner wrapped in shame and condemnation, so stop seeing yourself that way. If you are still thinking about the things you did in the past, realize that is a plan of the enemy to keep you from knowing your true identity.
If your sins have been removed from the record, deleted; then why keep beating yourself up for things you have been forgiven for?
A key to breakthrough from living defeated is believing that you are a new creation in Jesus Christ, instead of the person you used to be.