We may live in a culture that is saturated with things completely opposite of God, but now is not the time to back down in intimidation. The media is encouraging and glorifying immorality, violence, and subtly incorporating new age teachings into TV shows and movies. The millennials of today are some of the most confused morally that we have ever had in generations past. The definition of love for many is about whatever makes me feel good and total acceptance of whatever that form of love is.
In the 1940’s, some of the most serious problems among young people was talking out of turn, making noise, and littering. In the 1980’s, the problems of the younger generation escalated to drug abuse, alcohol abuse, pregnancy, suicide, rape, and assault. The 1960’s was a pivotal time that paved the way for the decline in morality and pursuing whatever makes you feel good. During this time, the Bible and prayer was removed from public schools, no-fault divorce lawyers paved the way for an increase in divorce and cohabitation, and the Supreme Court decision of Roe vs. Wade to legalize abortion.
What will happen if as Christians we do not take a stand now? Gay marriage is legal, but what will be next if we don’t stand for truth? Children as young as five are now able to decide on their own if they want to change genders, and many parents are supporting their children’s decisions. Anyone can have access to public restrooms and dressing rooms. Facebook reportedly has 58 different types of sexual orientations you can choose for your profile. Now there is bigender, pangender, transqueer, and the list goes on and on. What will be next? I have never been more confused as when I was reading about the different types of sexual orientations that there are now. What happened to just LBGT, or for that matter, male and female? Did God not create us in His image, male and female?
Problems arise when we leave God out of the equation, everything is permissible and acceptable. Not that long cohabitating and even having children out of marriage was taboo, but now it has been accepted widely by our godless culture. When I had my son out of marriage over 20 years ago, I knew it was wrong and I did not desire in the least bit to live with my boyfriend. I wanted to be married and raise my son with a father and a mother, but so much has changed since then. Women no longer are disgraced about having children out of marriage and living with their significant other. Sexual immortality is not just about homosexuality or gender identity confusion, but all forms including habitual fornication (cohabitation), adultery, and pornography.
Is morality important? Author and scholar, C.S. Lewis thought so.
“Morality ensures fair play and harmony between individuals, helps make us good people in order to have a good society, and it keeps us in good relationship with the power that created us.”
A report from Psychology Today concluded, “The most significant predictor of a person’s moral behavior may be religious commitment.”
Reflect and ponder: If we don’t take a stand for something, we will stand for nothing. What are you standing for? God and His truth, or pleasing man by agreeing and compromising with unbiblical truths?
How to stand for truth in our culture of ungodliness:
1. Let your light shine before men, meaning we should act and live in ways that support the Gospel.
2. Do not compromise with sin or entertain sin. Do not waver in what you believe. Others are watching and observing what you do.
3. When you share truth, do so with a spirit of humility, gentleness and love.
4. If you are opposed, attacked, or mocked; pray for your enemies. Do not retaliate in anger or vengeance.
5. Respect everyone, even those who oppose the things of God. All people are deserving of value, worth and dignity. You cannot force someone to do something, but you don’t have to align in agreement with them. God does give us all free choice. We are not to force our beliefs unto others.
6. Do not twist scripture to align with an ungodly lifestyle or sin.
7. Live a quiet and peaceful life. You don’t have to protest what you believe. Never use hate speech or act in a hateful or prideful manner. You can show others at times Christ just by being joyful, full of God’s peace, loving, and when they do ask, “Why are you so different,” Tell them!
MEDITATE ON THESE SCRIPTURES:
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers.
If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.